In addition to posting Status Updates, another great way to boost your LinkedIn activity is to post an event. Remember: being active on LinkedIn means higher visibility, increased credibility, and it also moves you up in the LinkedIn “People” Searches.
Now, before I go any further, allow me to clarify: LinkedIn events are professional activities, e.g., professional development seminars, networking events, conferences, Telecalls.
LinkedIn events are not mass invites to your Bachelorette Weekend Extravaganza or 4th Annual 30th Birthday Bash. So, if you have an event that you, your company, or your professional organization are putting on, here’s how to post to the Events section of LinkedIn:
1. On the top menu bar of your LinkedIn homepage, hover your mouse over “More”. A drop-down menu will appear with an “Event” option. Click it.
2. The event homepage will appear. On the right hand side of the page, you’ll see a yellow box that says “Create an Event.” Click that button.
3. This will bring you to the page where you fill in all of the necessary information for your event. Be sure to fill in as much information as possible. Here are a few tips:
- Be sure to include applicable keywords in the Keyword field.
- People use LinkedIn to search for events. When I post an event for Professionals in Human Resources, I use keywords like Human Resources, HR, PIHRA, Professionals in Human Resources, executive and manager.
- Also, include a keyword that relates to the topic of the event. For example, if it was a Professional Networking Event for attorneys, you might add the keywords: Attorney, Lawyers, Networking, and Business Mixer.
- In the Link field, add a link to the website where people can register for the event. Or, give them an e-mail or phone number where they can register, if it is required.
- Don’t forget to upload a logo or picture. People will be more likely to notice your event and attend it if it has an image associated with it.
For me, posting events on LinkedIn has meant more brand exposure, an expanded network and, of course, a significant increase in event attendance. Post your next event on LinkedIn and see what happens! (Just make sure to order extra hors-d’oeuvres ahead of time.)