Many smart professionals and Executives are using LinkedIn to enhance their “Personal Brand” within their Company. I have one Coaching client that has successfully created new relationships with Executives and created visibility to her accomplishments by leveraging LinkedIn. It’s hard to know if there’s a direct correlation to her LinkedIn activities and the the high visibility projects she’s been assigned to lately, but it can’t have hurt!!!! Here are 10 ways to use LinkedIn to promote your Personal Brand:
- Link to Executives and Colleagues within Your Company. If you don’t know the Executives in your company, this can be a great way to start a relationship with them and create awareness of you and your skills.
- Update your LinkedIn Profile with your latest accomplishments monthly or quarterly.
- Ensure to include accomplishments from your past positions in your Profile (especially those that are applicable to your current or desired position), because probably only your boss and HR read your resume when you were hired.
- Use your Status Update (weekly or periodically) to let your Company Connections know about: your accomplishments, your milestones achieved, and new projects you’ve been assigned to.
- Use the Reading List to highlight Leadership or Technical books you are reading.
- Make comments on the books you are reading to show your expertise and commitment to learning.If the book is being read by a Company Group, make comments that tie the strategies in the book to situations in your company, or summarize the book for those that may not have time to read it.
- Link to respected people in your industry, sought after clients, and well thought of vendors to increase your credibility.
- To increase your exposure, join LinkedIn Groups that the Leaders of your organization belong to.(You can look at their profiles to determine which LinkedIn Groups they belong to).
- Be active in the LinkedIn Groups they belong to: answer questions, ask questions, or make comments to show your knowledge, expertise, and commitment to professional growth.
- Get Recommendations from colleagues and leaders you are currently working with to increase your credibility.
If you want to learn how to create an effective LinkedIn Profile, consider purchasing the “6 Weeks to More Success Through LinkedIn” Video E-course.